The Safeguards Information System (SIS) of Uganda has been developed with the objective to:
- produce summaries of information on REDD+ safeguards for UNFCCC;
- provide assurances on safeguards implementation and non-carbon benefits to donors;
- provide information to the Ugandan government on contributions to sustainable development; and,
- provide assurances to local stakeholders on their social and environmental priorities. The SIS shows how safeguards are addressing risks and opportunities of REDD+ identified through consultations with all stakeholders during the SESA for the National REDD+ Strategy and will help to maintain broad support for REDD+ activities among local communities and other Ugandan stakeholders.
The SIS will provide the following functions during REDD+ Strategy implementation:
- information collection;
- analysis and interpretation;
- quality assurance and validation;
- Information dissemination and management.
These steps were followed for the development of the SIS in Uganda:
- Define goals of the country safeguards approach: Clarify Cancun safeguards for Uganda in the form of National Safeguards Standards principles and criteria based on review of Uganda PLR, SESA analysis of issues, ESMF impacts and mitigation measures, international norms and commitments relevant to Uganda such as Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD), UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples (UNDRIP), REDD+ SES, FCPF Readiness Assessment Framework.
- Develop SIS objectives, scope and functions: Elaborate in consultation with SESA/Safeguards Task Force.
- Build on existing information systems: Identify existing systems in Uganda and assess their applicability for SIS.
- Identify specific information needed: Identify indicators to provide information on how each of the criteria are being respected drawing from existing information systems, ESMF and other frameworks with additional indicators as needed.
- Collect, compile and analyse information: Develop methods and protocols for data collection and validation for each indicator.
- Establish institutional arrangements & stakeholder participation: Identify roles and responsibilities for all SIS functions, flow of information, stakeholder participation and capacity building needs.
- Report and use the information: Develop SIS information technology system including web portal and database, operational modalities and procedures.
All entities implementing REDD+ activities will be responsible for ensuring that REDD+ safeguards identified in the National Safeguards Standards are addressed and respected throughout the implementation of REDD+ activities, and that associated information is provided for inclusion in the SIS. Information for feeding into the SIS is obtained from diverse sources at local and national levels across the sectors participating in REDD+ Strategy implementation. Thus, the reporting involves stakeholders including relevant government agencies, formal and informal forest users, private sector entities, civil societies, indigenous people and other forest-dependent communities.
The following are existing information systems that will support the SIS:
- Environmental and Social Management System (ESMS) – National Agricultural Research Organization (NARO)
- Eco Survey Management Information System – Ministry of Water and Environment (MWE)
- Environment Information Network (EIN) Uganda Clearing House – National Environment Management Authority (NEMA)
- Land Information System (LIS) – Ministry of Lands, Housing and Urban Development (MLHUD)
- Management Information System (MIST) – Uganda Wildlife Authority (UWA)
- National Biodiversity Data Bank (NBDB) – Makerere University Kampala (MUK)
- National Forest Monitoring System (formerly the National Biomass Monitoring Database) – National Forestry Authority (NFA)
- National Wetlands Information System (NWIS) – Wetlands Management Department (WMD)
- Uganda National Household Survey – Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS)
- Demographic and health survey – Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS)
- Annual Agriculture Survey – Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS)
- National Service Delivery Survey – Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS)
Details on structure, functioning and capacities of each of the above systems are provided in the SIS design document.